Saturday, April 10, 2010

Sea Turtle

Another art class example.  I had the kids use watercolor pencils for the turtle spots and the turquoise areas.  They were fascinated with layering blue and green watercolor pencil then adding water to turn it turquoise.  I was very pleased when one second grader came up and asked for the burnt umber pencil.  He remembered from the brown color of the bunny!  That made me feel really good and I let him know.
I had them use a prussian blue wash for the bottom section of their turtle picture and then told them to turn their painting upside down and work on the spots some more.  I got some really funny looks until I explained that this way they wouldn't get their arms in the blue while it was drying.
After the first layer was dry, I had them add a second layer leaving the top with only one.  I love watching their faces going from confused to - Cool!  We had blue everywhere, but it was fun.  On to the next idea!

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully drawn! I really like turtles they are so calmed looking and graceful in the deep sea =) And that blue you had on is right on the spot I think!
    Thanks for your comments on my kitty drawing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your compliments and comments on almost all of my posts =) I appreciate it so much, and I am sure you're working on something big right now and waiting for the right moment to share it. I just want to say that I am really looking forward to your next piece :)

    ReplyDelete